On February 11th, 2013, Pope Benedict XVI announced that he would be resigning the office of the papacy effective February 28th at 8pm. Although not without precedent, no pope had resigned the office in roughly 600 years (and even that was under unusual circumstances).
Then on March 13th, the cardinals of the Catholic Church elected Jorge Mario Bergoglio to the papacy. He is a pope of many firsts, including the first to take the name Francis, the first Jesuit elected Pope, and the first Pope from the Americas.
This page is intended as a resource for all who are been interested in Benedict’s resignation and the end of his papacy, the election of Francis and his early months in the chair of St. Peter, and the implications of both for the Church and the world.
Interviews with Pope Francis in America and La Repubblica
- Katharine Mahon: The Importance of Context: Moral Relativism and the Pope’s New Interview (October 1)
- Brad Rothrock: Praying for Our Enemies and the Pope’s Interview (September 20)
- Amanda Osheim: The Discerning Pope (September 19)
- Katie O’Neill: Pastoral Care as Triage: Pope Francis and the Church as Field Hospital (September 19)
- John Slattery: “Masculinity in a Skirt”: Pope Francis and the Role of Women (September 19)
The Election and Early Papacy of Pope Francis
- Kevin Ahern: Best Man for the Job: An Analysis of the New Secretary of State (August 30)
- Andrew Staron: Francis and a Risk of Madness (August 12)
- Kevin Ahern: Is World Youth Day Worth It? (July 28)
- Amanda Osheim: The Light of Faith (July 5)
- Amanda Osheim: Pope Francis’ Good Intentions (May 30)
- Kevin Ahern: The Pope and the Power of Humility (May 4)
- Michael Rubbelke: A Prayerful Church for the Poor: Pope Francis on Encountering Christ in Prayer and Solidarity (May 1)
- The Editors: Theological Shark Week IV: “Pope Francis, Theology, and the Church of the Poor” (April 28)
- John Slattery: Breaking down the Elite 8: A Pocket Guide to the Pope’s New Super-Cardinals (April 14)
- Amanda Osheim: The People of God and the Bishop of Rome (March 14)
- Amanda Osheim: What’s in a Name? (March 13)
Pope Benedict’s Retirement
- Stephen Okey: Nanni Moretti’s “We Have a Pope” (Feb 20)
- John Slattery: Downton Abbey’s Finale and the Tragedy of Benedict XVI (Feb 18)
- Amanda Osheim: The Bishop of Rome: Remembering the Local Church (Feb 15)
- Stephen Okey: Papal Tweets (Feb 14)
- Kat Greiner: Embracing Our Human Finitude During Lent: The Spiritual Witness of Pope Benedict’s Resignation (Feb 13)
- Brian Flanagan: An Office, Not a Person – Benedict’s Gift (Feb 11)
- Kevin Ahern: The Pope of Surprises (Feb 11)
You must be logged in to post a comment.